Are You Ready? l FAQ l Risk Management Checklist l Why Businesses Fail l Planning Questions l Business Owner Job Description l Form An Advisory Team l Test Your Business Idea l Personal Financial Assessment
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I learn about turning my cool idea into a business?
- Read business-planning books and magazines
- Enroll in a business planning class (offered fall and spring at the FCCDC)
- Meet with a business counselor (FCCDC, SBDC, SCORE)
- Talk with other business owners.
When is the right time to go into business?
- When you have other means of support for a few years while building your business
- You have support from family and friends
- You have carefully evaluated the business idea
- You are in good health
How can I obtain financing for my business?
- Develop a business plan
- Share the plan with commercial bankers, alternative lenders, family and friends to find the best arrangement.
What can I do to market my business if I have a limited budget?
- Evaluate your target market and competition
- Develop a marketing plan with goals and objectives
- Read about low-cost marketing
- Build collaborations with other business owners who share the same target market
- Measure results
Who is available to talk about small business issues?
- Franklin County Community Development Corporation (FCCDC)
- Massachusetts Small Business Development Center Network (SBDC)
- Service Core of Retired Executives (SCORE
- Industry Specific Professionals
- Business Associations
— Franklin County Chamber of Commerce
— North Quabbin Chamber of Commerce
— Greenfield Business Association
— Shelburne Falls Area Business Association
— Orange Business Association
- Greenfield Community College